Last Updated on May 12, 2023
The Abbotsford Tulip Festival
Have you ever wondered what it would be like to experience the beauty and vibrant colors of one of Canada’s largest tulip festivals? This year, thousands have flocked to the tulip festival in Abbotsford—a city situated in a close proximity to Vancouver—to witness the wonderful spectacle that is the Abbotsford Tulip Festival. With over five million majestic blooms covering 27 acres, this festival is officially Canada’s largest displays of colorfully stunning tulips. From traditional varieties such as old-fashioned tulips to more unique looking varieties like La Courtine Parrot and Fringe tulips, visitors will be able to admire some of nature’s most incredible floral creations. The enchanting hues that decorate these lush fields make for an unbelievably beautiful landscape. If you’re choosing what tulip festival near Vancouver to visit, The Abbotsford Tulip Festival would be an excellent choice!
Overview Of The Abbotsford Tulip Festival And Its History
The Abbotsford Tulip Festival is a must-see event for anyone who loves flowers and the beauty of nature. The festival is set amidst the picturesque landscape of British Columbia’s Fraser Valley and offers a unique opportunity to witness the beauty of the region’s agricultural heritage.
Nick Warmerdam, a third generation bulb grower, is now the owner and operator of Lakeland Flowers. The November 2021 Sumas flooding led to a catalyst for change as it resulted in significant damage to the greenhouse’s automation system and operational equipment, decommissioning much of its commercial operation. Nick has started promoting agritourism after being inspired by the beauty of a field full of tulips in bloom while growing them commercially. As a result, Lakeland Flowers fields are now open to the public during the spring and summer for various floral experiences.
Today, the festival has become a popular attraction for locals and tourists alike, offering a unique blend of natural beauty, cultural history, and community celebration.
Description Of The Different Varieties Of Tulips On Display At The Festival
As we strolled through the gardens at the tulip festival, we couldn’t help but be amazed by the vast array of colors and shapes of the tulips on display. From the vibrant reds to the soft pinks and yellows, each type seemed to have its unique identity. Some boasted long, elegant petals that gracefully swayed in the breeze, while others were more petite and compact, clustered together in groups to create a stunning visual display. But it wasn’t just their appearance that caught our attention – the different varieties emitted distinct fragrances, from sweet and delicate to bold and spicy. Every step we took brought us closer to discovering another captivating tulip variety – it was truly a feast for the senses.
Take a look at the tulip variety list for more details!
Activities At The Tulip Festival
One of the best ways to enjoy the tulip festival is to go on a leisurely stroll through the vibrant fields of tulips. Immerse yourself in the colorful and fragrant surroundings as you take in the breathtaking views. There is also fun photo ops (swings, tractor and viewing platforms), and on select days food trucks offer their mouth-watering creations.
Tips For Photographing Tulips During Your Visit
Tulips are one of the most beautiful flowers and photographing them can be a challenge, but it’s definitely worth it! To make the most out of your visit to a tulip garden, it’s important to take your time and really observe the flowers. Play around with different angles to capture the true essence of each blossom. Try shooting from a low angle to bring some depth to the image, or from a high angle to show off the sprawling fields of tulips. Get extra creative and show the view from under your sun hat. Also, be sure to pay attention to the lighting conditions, as tulips are particularly sensitive to harsh sunlight. If possible, try and shoot on an overcast day or later in the day when the light is softer. With these tips, you’ll be sure to capture some breathtaking images of these stunning flowers.
Insider Tips On Getting The Most Out Of Your Visit To The Abbotsford Tulip Festival
This field deserves a visit for you to marvel at the breathtaking sight of over five million tulips in bloom. To truly get the most out of your visit to the festival, however, it’s important to have some insider tips:
- Arrive early to avoid crowds and enjoy the fields in peace (early morning tickets are available).
- Don’t forget to bring a camera to snap some amazing photos of the vibrant flowers!
- Save some time to enjoy the delicious food and drinks on offer (available on select days)
- Take some fresh-cut tulips home to remember your unforgettable day.
- The Abbotsford Tulip Festival operates rain or shine.
- Dress for the weather – if it has been raining, wear rain boots!
- Wear suitable walking shoes — the field is 27 acres!
- Dogs (on leash) are welcome.
- Before you go, make sure to check the Field Report to know the status of the flowers. This will help you determine the season’s condition, and to what extent the fields are blooming during your visit.
- For visitors with mobility aids and strollers, it is recommended that guests should be able to walk 1km without help to fully enjoy the experience. Wheelchairs and strollers should be suitable for uneven terrain. If you require a mobility aid or stroller, visit on a rain-free day after a few days have passed for easier mobility around the field. To stay informed about the accessibility, check the Field Report.
Fly Your Drone At The Abbotsford Tulip Festival
There are select days and (morning) times that you can fly your drone at the Abbotsford Tulip Festival, for a small additional fee. All interested persons must apply in advance of the requested flight date. Drone operators must be certified and abide by all safety regulations and prove certification and drone registration before flying. Take to the skies and capture some amazing aerial shots of the tulip fields!
Hot Air Balloon Ride Above The Tulips
During a media event at the Abbotsford Tulip Festival, we were able to turn our adventure up a notch with a hot air balloon ride! Seeing 5 MILLION tulips from above was incredible.
We are hoping that next year its possible for them to offer the hot air balloon rides on select days so that you can take part in this unique experience too!
Explore Neighboring Attractions
When you find a show-stopping attraction like this BC Tulip Festival, it is always exciting to explore what else the area has to offer. After your Abbotsford Tulip Festival adventure, explore the neighboring areas to discover hidden gems and unique experiences. You never know what you might stumble upon – it could be a quaint little café, a picturesque park, or a fascinating museum. Exploring neighboring attractions can provide a more authentic and immersive look at the local culture and community. Be curious and adventurous, and who knows what exciting discoveries you might make!
Best Things To Do In Abbotsford, BC
Abbotsford, BC is a vibrant city with plenty of attractions to explore. From beautiful parks and gardens to exciting cultural and entertainment experiences, there’s something for everyone in Abbotsford. Here are some of the best things to pair with your Abbotsford Tulip Festival adventure:
- Visit Mill Lake Park – Take a leisurely stroll around this picturesque park, admire the colorful floral displays, or go for a leisurely paddle on the lake.
- Visit Historic Downtown Abbotsford – Take a stroll through the charming historic downtown district and soak in its unique atmosphere of small-town charm.
- Enjoy a hiking or biking adventure – Abbotsford is home to many beautiful trails and cycling routes, perfect for an outdoor adventure.
- Take in some live entertainment – Catch a comedy show at the local theatre, listen to some live music, or take in a movie at the cinema.
- Taste unique local flavors – From farm-fresh produce to artisanal cheeses, Abbotsford has a wide selection of delicious local delicacies. Be sure to stop by one of the city’s many farmers’ markets for a taste.
- Take the kids to Castle Fun Park – Kids of all ages will love the Castle Fun Park, a family-friendly amusement park filled with fun arcade games and activities.
- Clayburn Village – Step back in time at Clayburn Village, one of the oldest preserved settlements in British Columbia. Wander through the picturesque streets and admire the beautifully restored church, homes, and other historic buildings.
Directions And Parking
There is free on-site parking available at a designated parking area near 3663 Marion Rd, which can be found by turning south onto Marion Rd from No. 4 Rd and following the signs indicating the entrance.
Take TransCanada Hwy/BC 1 Eastbound and take Exit 99 (Cole Road).
Slight right onto South Parallel Rd for 3km.
Turn right onto No. 4 Rd.
Turn right onto Marion Rd.
Look for parking signage.
Tulip Festival Prices
Here is the pricing information for the 2023 season. You can purchase tickets online in advance for the best prices. Tickets range from $8 to $25. Please note that prices and other details may change.
- Weekdays: $8 online in advance, $10 online on the day, $12 at the gate
- Weekends: $15 online in advance, $20 online on the day, $25 at the gate
If you’re planning to visit between 6:00 and 8:00 am, you can take advantage of the Early Light Special. However, you need to purchase your tickets for $15 before 6:00 pm the day before. Please note that this special rate is valid on all days of the week except for Saturdays.
Children who are 3 years old or younger do not need to pay for entrance. Free parking is also available on-site.
Take Home Tulips
Not only can you admire the flowers at the festival, but you can also buy them. A bunch of tulips is $5, which is similar to store prices, but the flowers are extremely fresh. Moreover, if you purchase four bunches at the festival, you will receive a fifth one for free.
The Abbotsford Tulip Festival is a unique and exciting place to visit. Whether you’re looking for stunning displays of tulips, or just a chance to get out of the house and enjoy some fresh air, there is something for everyone at the festival.
Enjoy seeing the tulips in full bloom and make sure to take your time exploring all that the festival has to offer. Photography is also welcome and encouraged – capture vibrant colors and unique shots as you wander through the grounds. Take note of the different varieties of tulips found throughout the festival and use what you’ve learned to help inspire your own home garden next Spring.
Next time you plan a visit to Abbotsford during Spring, be sure to include the Abbotsford Tulip Festival – it’s sure to provide an unforgettable experience!
Love it? Pin it for later!