As our summer adventures come to a close (how did time go THAT fast?), our kids will be getting back into the routine of school and needing a good night’s sleep. Back-to-School is going to look a little different this year, but we are ready (or at least we hope!). Across the world, this will be particularly complicated, considering current circumstances with the Covid-19 pandemic.
Summertime means routines going out the window, kids staying up late, and having way too much fun (at least it does in our house). We live for sunshine and summertime! That also makes it that much harder to get back into a routine and get a good night’s sleep.
Here in British Columbia, right now the aim is to have all students back in the classroom full-time. The thought of that may give anxiety to parents and kids alike. Not only because of Covid-19, but because even in a ‘normal’ world, adjusting back to a routine can be difficult.
Starting the season off right can really set the tone for the whole school year. Getting a good night’s sleep can help kids do better in school, help you feel better prepared to take on the day, and improve social functioning and well-being.
This is how we have found the most success adjusting sleep schedules with elementary school-age children:
- Start to establish a routine two weeks before school starts. The first few days will be a little rough.
- Make changes little by little in their routine, and keep pushing their bedtime towards what it will be for the school year by 15 minutes every other night.
- Make sure electronics are turned off a couple hours before they need to be in bed.
- Use a small light to read the kids a bedtime story as they fall asleep in a dim-lit room.
- Keep the room cool, dark and comfortable.
- In the morning, open those shades to let the natural light pour in.
- Wake the kids up at the same time each morning, so you keep them on their internal clock.
- Natrol Melatonin – When the kids are having extra difficulty sleeping, Natrol Kids Melatonin helps them to fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer†. The yummy berry-flavored gummy provides 1 mg of melatonin. Natrol Melatonin Gummies are non-GMO, gelatin-free, and vegetarian. We love that the gummies are 100% drug-free and non-habit forming. Most of the time the kids can fall asleep naturally, but when they cannot, we can feel confident about using Natrol Melatonin for their occasional sleeplessness.†
Good sleep goes beyond just the kids getting adequate shut-eye. We have learned that it is important to make sleep a priority for the whole family. When life gets crazy busy again once school starts, it is too easy for parents to let their sleep slide (trust me, it happens way too easily!). Juggling school (especially for those starting the year with distance education!), full-time work, family needs, and what feels like a zillion different schedules can be a lot to handle.
It is just as important for parents to model good sleep habits. Natrol has many other melatonin formulas, and is the #1 melatonin brand with the widest range of options for consumers^. The variety of choices helps us to feel confident that we are covered when taking Natrol products with their level of effectiveness. We find that they really help us to fall asleep faster, stay asleep longer and wake up feeling rested†.
Our go-to’s are Natrol Melatonin Fast Dissolve, Natrol Melatonin chewable gummies, and new Natrol 3 a.m. Melatonin. The Fast Dissolve comes in a great tasting strawberry flavor and you don’t need water, so you can take it anytime, anywhere. It is also great if you do not like to swallow vitamins and supplements. The strawberry flavored Melatonin Gummies go down super easy, are non-GMO, gelatin-free, and vegetarian. The Natrol 3 a.m. Melatonin is perfect for when you wake in the middle of the night and just need help getting back to sleep. We also love the fast dissolve formula with the Natrol 3 a.m. Melatonin, just keep it in your nightstand so you do not even have to get out of bed to get a glass of water. We love how many Melatonin options Natrol provides!
(Side note: Natrol Melatonin also works wonders when we have to adjust to different time zones or have other sleep challenges with travel!)
Natrol Melatonin and Kids Melatonin are available at Natrol.com and many other local stores where you find vitamins.
This post is sponsored by Natrol, but the content and opinions expressed here are my own.
^Nielsen, xAOC, 52 weeks ending 07/11/20
|†These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.|